08.11. - 21.11.2020
Big special tour to one of the most exotic destinations on earth – New Guinea! On this varied journey you will get to know the highlands of Papua, as well as the heavenly Raja Ampat.
The Baliem Valley with its provincial capital Wamena is the home of the Dani and Lani and can still only be reached by plane. This leads to a breathtaking and absolutely original experience for every visitor! We explore the valley in a selection of day trips: Hiking in untouched nature, viewing a mummy, visiting the highest lake of Indonesia, and of course a traditional pig festival form part of the programme. We will stay at the Baliem Valley Resort. The resort is located at 1.900 meters above sea level, in the middle of the mighty Jayawijaya Mountains and covers a 1.600 hectare natural paradise of its own. Guests admire breathtaking mountain panoramas and overwhelming natural beauty.
From the Baliem Valley we travel directly to one of Indonesia’s new top destinations. Dream beaches, boat trips, snorkeling, birds-of-paradise: Raja Ampat is probably one of the most beautiful destinations in Asia and still it is rarely visited. Untouched nature and lonely beaches are guaranteed. We stay in the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, one of the most beautiful resort complexes in this area. There we sleep in a deluxe bungalow right on the beach. Raja Ampat is a diving paradise. But our itinerary is aimed specifically at all non-divers who want to get to know the beauty of this region. With a private boat we travel to the interesting destinations of the region. There is enough time for many great snorkeling trips, hikes, and a visit to the birds-of-paradise.
Arrival in Denpasar, Bali. Either individual arrival or organised additionally by MEET THE GLOBE against extra charge. Transfer to the Hotel Ida in Kuta. The rest of the day is to relax. This stay only includes breakfast.
The complete day is to relax in Bali. In this stay no lunch or dinner is included. Shortly before midnight there will be the transfer to the airport.
Around 01.50 am flight with Garuda Indonesia to Jayapura, Papua. Arrival at 08.40 am. Around 01.50 am flight with Garuda Indonesia to Jayapura, Papua. Arrival at 08.40 am. After a short transit we continue with another flight to Wamena in the highlands of Papua. Slowly you will leave civilization. Wamena has around 12.000 inhabitants and is the only bigger settlement in this area. We have lunch and visit the local market in Wamena. Especially Dani women go to the market place every morning to sell fruits and vegetables. But the market is also the main trading place for the popular wild boars. Transfer to The Baliem Valley Resort which lies 1.900 m above sea level. Here you will have dinner.
In the morning drive to the southern Baliem Valley past Wamena. By the village of Sogogmo, about 3 kilometres before Kurima, the road ends. This is where our hike along the huge Baliem River starts. First we cross the roaring Baliem River on a traditional suspension bridge. We continue through romantic Dani settlements with their terraced fields and wild sugar cane groves. Throughout the hike we enjoy magnificent views of the river and the narrow valley. Around noon we reach the church square of Seinma where we eat our picnic lunch surrounded by stunning scenery. Outside Kurima we cross the river again on a wild and romantic suspension bridge. To return to our vehicle we need to cross a few side valleys. There will be many unique photo opportunities today. We get back to the resort in the late afternoon.
We will visit a salt spring, the Kurulu mummy and traditional Dani hamlets today. The morning starts with a one-hour drive to Jiwikia, in the middle of the Baliem Valley. From there we will hike uphill (approximately 300 metres altitude difference) through a stunning mountain rainforest to the traditional salt spring of the Dani tribe. Indigenous women dressed in their tribal garbs will accompany us and show us the ancestral techniques of salt production. After the descent we will take our picnic lunch at the foot of the mountain. Together we will walk to the nearby Kurulu village where you can admire the ancient mummy of the famous Dugum clan. Afterwards, the women will show us how they process the brine they extracted from the spring. We will see more quaint and picturesque Dani homesteads in the neighbourhood. Wherever we go, friendly Papuans offer their arts and crafts, weapons, and all kinds of curiosities for sale. The return to the resort is in the afternoon.
The tour begins with a 3 hour drive to Lake Habema at 3.200 metres altitude in the early morning. We will pass all the vegetation zones of Equatorial New Guinea during the day. The partly savanna-like landscape of the wide bottom of the Baliem Valley passes in to tremendous mossy forests and rainforests with gigantic tree ferns and pandanus trees. The giant trees are overgrown with moss, lichens and climbers - a wonderful unique flora. Lake Habema is located in the middle of an extended hill moor, surrounded by magical meadows full of dwarf cypresses, little tree ferns, rhododendron as well as many different species of orchids. Weather permitting, you will have spectacular views of the peak of nearby Mount Trikora (4.750 m). We will have lunch as a picnic by the lake surrounded by the magnificent upland moor landscape. Excursions to the area close by are possible depending on the weather. If the sun does shine you can also swim in the lake, which even has a sandy beach. We drive back to the resort in the afternoon.
Traditional one-day pig festival in a traditional Dani village, either in the resort grounds or in the Jiwika region. Many adorned people from the Dani tribe in traditional clothing will take part in the festival. Such food celebrations with hot stones and earth pits are probably the most interesting part of each trip to New Guinea. If you like taking photos and videos you will certainly get your money’s worth today! It is difficult to describe what is so unique about these food celebrations; you will have to see and experience it for yourself. Lunch will be a picnic in the village. If you like you can taste the food from the traditional earth pit afterwards. The freshly cooked pork and sweet potatoes are delicious! We return to the resort in the late afternoon.
In the morning transfer from the resort to Wamena. With Garuda Indonesia we flight to Jayapura and onwards to Sorong. Arrival in Sorong is at 14:15 and we will check in in the Hotel SwissBel. In the afternoon drive to the market place, followed by dinner in a cookery on the traditional fish market.
After breakfast will be transfer to the port, where we start our 1 hour tour by speedboat to the Raja Ampat Dive Lodge. Here we will be welcomed with a cocktail and lunch. The rest of the day is free. The small island allows for a nice walk, and at the lodge’s own pier you can already snorkel very nicely. Dinner will also be served at the lodge.
The day starts very early because we want to observe birds-of-paradise at the very beginning. These animals are especially active in the early morning hours. We start at 05:00 am with a short drive to the village Sawingray. From here it is a short walk to the birds in the forest. Around 08:00 am we want to be back in the lodge and have breakfast in peace. After breakfast we take the speedboat in the direction of Kabui. Kabui is a big bay with many coral islands of different size. The trip in our private boat is wonderful and at a suitable place we stop for snorkeling. A local snorkeling guide accompanies us and shows us the best spots. At low tide we can make a detour to Pasir Timbul, another coral spot. It is a day with enough time to swim and snorkel in this truly unspoilt paradise. You will remember many wonderful places here. Lunch is served on the way, dinner at the lodge.
Piaynemo (also known as Penemu) island looks like the famous Wayag island group but it is a little bit smaller and more remote. After breakfast we again will drive by speedboat and reach a nice snorkel spot. Today you additionally should bring some sturdy shoes to reach the hill of Piaynemo. You will have a terrific view over the fantastic landscape. There is a vast number of possibilities to take wonderful pictures of this paradise. Later, we will visit the village Arborek to learn about the typical life of the local people. Lunch is served on the way, dinner at the lodge.
It takes a long time to reach to Raja Ampat, so we don’t want to leave right away. The whole day at the lodge is at your disposal. Whether you go for a walk on the island, snorkel at the own pier or spend the day on the sun lounger is completely up to you. Full board is booked for you in the lodge.
Early in the morning transfer by speedboat to Sorong and proceed directly to the airport for our scheduled flight to Denpasar, Bali, with a stop in Makassar. The arrival in Denpasar will be about 09.00 pm. Transfer to the already known Hotel Ida.
Transfer to the airport of Denpasar for your individual onward journey or your return to your home country.
- Inner-Indonesian flights with Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar - Jayapura / Jayapura - Sorong / Sorong - Denpasar)
- Inner-Papuan flights with Air Trigana (Jayapura - Wamena / Wamena - Jayapura)
- International tour guide (German and English), Spanish may be available on request
- Full board, unless stated otherwise (Hotel Ida + Hotel Swiss Bel)
- Program according to the itinerary above
- Travel permit (Surat Jalan)
- Private car for excurisions in Baliem Valley
- Private boat for excursions in Raja Ampat
- All transfers
- All entry fees
- Conservation fee Raja Ampat
- 3 nights Hotel Ida, Kuta/Bali, only breakfast
- 5 nights The Baliem Valley Resort,
- 4 nights Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, Deluxe Bungalow
- 1 night Hotel Swiss Bel, Sorong, only breakfast
- International flights to/from Denpasar, Bali (may be booked on request)
- Airport tax on the international flights arriving at and departing from Denpasar
- Meals not described in itinerary (Hotel Ida + Hotel Swiss Bel)
- Beverages in hotels + restaurants
- Private expenses during the tour
- Medical precautions and advices
- Travel insurances
- The luggage limitation for checked luggage is 15 kg per person because of valid restrictions on the national flights.
- The passport has to be valid at least 6 more months on the day when entering Indonesia.
- EU citizens will receive a free visa upon arrival.
- Other citizens please check with the respective embassy if a visa is required for Indonesia and about the procedure. We gladly support you when dealing with this issue.
- When entering Papua every visitor has to bring 1 passport copy and 2 passport pictures for the travel permit.
- A checklist on what equipment to bring will be send after booking confirmation.
- After receiving the booking confirmation, a deposit of 15% of the total price has to be paid. The remaining payment has to be completed latest 6 weeks before the trip.
- A cancellation up to 32 days before the trip attracts a cancellation fee of 15% of the total travel price. This non-refundable part may be higher if we already had expenses with hotels and airlines or other service providers which will not, or not completely refund us.
- Between 31 and 17 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 35%.
- Between 16 and 11 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 50%.
- Between 10 days and 1 day before the trip 80% of the total costs have to be paid.
- Any no show or an early departure will result in a 100% payment of the total price and there will be no refund.
- The price for the 14 days and 13 nights from/to Denpasar, Bali is 4.590 € in a double room.
- The single room surcharge is 690 € in total.
- The minimum number of travellers is 6.
- Not more than 10 travellers may take part in this tour.
- The level of difficulty on a scale up to 10 is indicated with a 2.