Papua - Ascent of the Carstensz Pyramid - February 2021
08.02. - 27.02.2021
Individual expedition to the Carstensz Pyramid
The Carstensz Pyramid is the highest mountain in New Guinea at 4,884 meters above the sea level and one of the famous “Seven Summits”, the highest summits of the seven continents. In 1962, the Austrian Heinrich Harrer first climbed the mountain. Expeditions to this mountainous region of New Guinea require complex permitting procedures. From wandering the jungle to climbing the icy mountains of the Pacific, this expedition is a truly unique adventure.
Individual arrival to Denpasar, Bali at the latest the 08.02.2021. Further, we gladly organise arrival and departure for you.
Arrival in Denpasar, Bali. Either individual arrival or booking of the international flights through MEET THE GLOBE on request. Transfer to the Hotel Ida. After the transfer, it is necessary to handle important formalities to obtain the permission for the expedition to Carstensz. The rest of the day is to your free disposal to do as you please.
We will have a full day in Bali to acclimate. The transfer to the airport will take place during the night. We will fly with the airline Garuda Indonesia to Timika.
We will arrive in Timika around 06:00 am local time. The transfer to the Hotel Komoro Tame follows.
The transfer to the airport takes place in the morning. We fly with a charter machine for 40 minutes to Illaga. The entire group should fly out with their luggage and provision in only one flight. We set our camp in the village of Pinapa. The village is located in the Illaga Valley. However, porters must still be recruited and local government authorities must be visited.
1st trekking day in direction of the pyramid’s base camp: We start as early as possible. The first day will be long and exhausting. We plan to set our tent camp after the climb to the mountain crest behind Illaga.
2nd trekking day: Today, we will mainly hike through open area with constant but easy ascents and descents. We will set up our tent camp in a beautiful river valley with tree ferns.
3rd trekking day: Today’s route leads us over a huge plateau. Later, in the afternoon the route will take us to a primeval forest area. We set up our tent camp with a view on the Pyramid Region.
4th trekking day: We cross wonderful, high moor landscapes with several lakes and rivers. At a high water mark, crossing these watercourses can be problematic. We set up our tent camp at the end of the Larson drainage, which is located near the Latolampege cave.
5th trekking day: Today, we cross the New Zealand Pass. It is important that we take the shortest way to the base camp. If the weather allows it and the path is in good condition, we will reach the so-called “Yellow Valley” around noon. We set our tent camp close to the mid lake. This will be our base camp and starting point for every tour.
At basecamp: It is planned to go to the north face at the foot of the Carstensz Pyramid. We will start to explore and prepare our starting point to the climb.
At basecamp: We will spent to day at the basecamp and start to climb the Pyramid if the weather conditions permit it.
At basecamp: If it is necessary we will try to reach the summit again.
1st trekking day back: We will walk back to Illaga and take the way, which is already familiar for us. Five days in total are scheduled for the descent.
2nd trekking day back
3rd trekking day back
4th trekking day back
5th trekking day back. The arrival to Illaga is scheduled for today.
Our charter flight takes us back to Timika. The transfer to the Hotel Komoro Tame takes place after the arrival. The Hotel will provide lunch and dinner. We will spend the night there.
Around 11:30 am local time we fly to Denpasar, Bali with the airline Garuda Indonesia. The arrival is scheduled approximately at 13.45 local time. The transfer to Hotel Ida follows where we spend the night.
Today, Transfer to the airport and departure of your flight home or to your next destination.
- National flights including mission charter
- International travel guide (German and English)
- Crew for the tour
- Meals full board (in Bali only breakfast)
- Itinerary as described above
- Special travel permit (Surat Jalan)
- Equipment (tents, cooking and eating supplies)
- 3x overnight in Hotel Ida, Bali
- 2x overnight in Hotel Komoro Tame, Timika
- International flights to/from Denpasar, Bali (may be booked on request)
- Airport tax on the international flights arriving at and departing from Denpasar
- Sleeping bags and sleeping mattresses for the nights in the tent
- Meals in Bali (Hotel Ida stay only includes breakfast)
- Beverages in hotels + restaurants
- Private expenses during the tour
- Medical precautions and advices
- Travel insurances
- Travelling to remote areas of Papua is difficult, the conditions are harsh, there is no comfort at all. If you can handle such conditions, you will enjoy this trip. If you have any doubts, ask us before you book it. Tours to the Carstensz Pyramid are physically very demanding. Climbing the summit will be at your own risk!
- On the way back, it is possible to leave the base camp by helicopter. This will shorten the itinerary, reduce the physical demand, but increase the price. If you are interested, please contact us before the trip.
- The passport has to be valid at least 6 months at date of entry.
- EU citizens obtain the visa at arrival, to be paid in USD.
- Other citizens please check with your embassy. We are glad to help you if need further assistance.
- Each participant has to bring a passport copy and two passport pictures when entering the country.
- A recommended checklist concerning the equipment will be send after the booking confirmation.
- After receiving the booking confirmation, a deposit of 15% of the total price has to be paid. The remaining payment has to be completed latest 6 weeks before the trip.
- A cancellation up to 32 days
before the trip attracts a cancellation fee of 15% of the total travel
price. This non-refundable part may be higher if we already had expenses
with hotels and airlines or other service providers which will not, or
not completely refund us.
- Between 31 and 17 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 35%.
- Between 16 and 11 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 50%.
- Between 10 days and 1 day before the trip 80% of the total costs have to be paid.
- Any no show or an early departure will result in a 100% payment of the total price and there will be no refund.
Our web page is currently being equipped with an automated booking process. Until this update is finished, we gladly receive your reservation request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We require the following information:
Name of the trip:
Number of travellers:
We will contact you as your personal travel advisor as soon as we receive your email.