Papua - Special expedition Korowai intensive: Crossing the Korowai Sector (2021)
This expedition will bring you to the Korowai tree house nomads. The Korowai live far away from any civilization, deep in the forest of the Papua lowland until this day. During our tour we will cross the Korowai sector, from Mabul in the West to Yanirumah in the East. We will spend some days in the forest of the Korowai and visit mainly the settlements in the area around Avium River. The deeper we walk inside the sector, the more traditional the people are. We will leave the sector from Yanirumah with a missionary charter flight to Wamena. After that, we will spend some varied days with the Dani tribe in the highlands of Papua where we will take part in an amazing traditional pig festival. To complete our trip, we visit a bird park on the north coast with guided tours to the birds of paradise.
- Inner-Indonesian flights with Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar - Jayapura / Jayapura - Denpasar)
- Inner-Papuan flights with Air Trigana (Jayapura - Yahokimo (Dekai) / Wamena - Jayapura)
- Charter flight for the whole crew (Yanirumah – Wamena)
- English speaking guide. German and spanish may be available on request.
- Crew from Wamena (cook etc.)
- Porters for the private luggage of the expedition members
- Full board, unless stated otherwise (Hotel Ida)
- Programme according to the itinerary above
- Travel permit (Surat Jalan)
- Equipment (tents, cooking dishes) but NO sleeping bags and mattresses
- All transfers
- All entrance fees
- 1-2 nights (depending on tour length) Hotel Ida, Kuta/Bali with breakfast
- 4 nights The Baliem Valley Resort, full board
- 1 night Hotel Horex, Sentani, full board
- International flights to/from Denpasar, Bali (may be booked on request)
- Airport tax on the international flights arriving at and departing from Denpasar
- Sleeping bags and sleeping mattresses for the nights in the tent
- Meals in Bali (Hotel Ida)
- Additional beverages
- Private expenses during the tour
- Medical precautions and advices
- Travel insurances
- The luggage limitation for checked luggage is 15 kg per person because of valid restrictions on the charter flight and on the national flights.
- The passport has to be valid at least 6 more months on the day when entering Indonesia.
- EU citizens will receive a free visa upon arrival.
- Other citizens please check with the respective embassy if a visa is required for Indonesia and about the procedure. We gladly support you when dealing with this issue.
- When entering Papua every visitor has to bring 1 passport copy and 2 passport pictures for the travel permit.
- A checklist on what equipment to bring will be send after booking confirmation.
- The price for the 17 days from/to Denpasar, Bali, is 3.390 € in a double room respectively in a double tent.
- The single room/tent surcharge is 350 € in total.
- The minimum number of expedition members is 4.
- The level of difficulty on a scale up to 10 is indicated with 8.
A certain degree of fitness is assumed. But you definitely do not have to be a top athlete to be an expedition member.
- It is self-evident that we travel as a group and respect the weakest link in the chain.
- After receiving the booking confirmation a deposit of 15% of the total price has to be paid. The remaining payment has to be completed latest 6 weeks before the trip.
- A cancellation up to 32 days
before the trip attracts a cancellation fee of 15% of the total travel
price. This non-refundable part may be higher if we already had expenses
with hotels and airlines or other service providers which will not, or
not completely refund us.
- Between 31 and 17 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 35%.
- Between 16 and 11 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 50%.
- Between 10 days and 1 day before the trip 80% of the total costs have to be paid.
- Any no show or an early departure will result in a 100% payment of the total price and there will be no refund.
Our web page is currently being equipped with an automated booking process. Until this update is finished, we gladly receive your reservation request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We require the following information:
Name of the trip:
Number of travellers:
We will contact you as your personal travel advisor as soon as we receive your email.