Papua - Ascent of the Carstensz Pyramid - September/October 2021
19.09. - 08.10.2021
Individual expedition to the Carstensz Pyramid
The Carstensz Pyramid is the highest mountain in New Guinea at 4,884 meters above the sea level and one of the famous “Seven Summits”, the highest summits of the seven continents. In 1962, the Austrian Heinrich Harrer first climbed the mountain. Expeditions to this mountainous region of New Guinea require complex permitting procedures. From wandering the jungle to climbing the icy mountains of the Pacific, this expedition is a truly unique adventure.
Individual arrival to Denpasar, Bali at the latest the 19.09.2021. Further, we gladly organise arrival and departure for you.
Arrival in Denpasar, Bali. Either individual arrival or booking of the international flights through MEET THE GLOBE on request. Transfer to the Hotel Ida. After the transfer, it is necessary to handle important formalities to obtain the permission for the expedition to Carstensz. The rest of the day is to your free disposal to do as you please.
We will have a full day in Bali to acclimate. The transfer to the airport will take place during the night. We will fly with the airline Garuda Indonesia to Timika.
We will arrive in Timika around 06:00 am local time. The transfer to the Hotel Komoro Tame follows.
The transfer to the airport takes place in the morning. We fly with a charter machine for 40 minutes to Illaga. The entire group should fly out with their luggage and provision in only one flight. We set our camp in the village of Pinapa. The village is located in the Illaga Valley. However, porters must still be recruited and local government authorities must be visited.
1st trekking day in direction of the pyramid’s base camp: We start as early as possible. The first day will be long and exhausting. We plan to set our tent camp after the climb to the mountain crest behind Illaga.
2nd trekking day: Today, we will mainly hike through open area with constant but easy ascents and descents. We will set up our tent camp in a beautiful river valley with tree ferns.
3rd trekking day: Today’s route leads us over a huge plateau. Later, in the afternoon the route will take us to a primeval forest area. We set up our tent camp with a view on the Pyramid Region.
4th trekking day: We cross wonderful, high moor landscapes with several lakes and rivers. At a high water mark, crossing these watercourses can be problematic. We set up our tent camp at the end of the Larson drainage, which is located near the Latolampege cave.
5th trekking day: Today, we cross the New Zealand Pass. It is important that we take the shortest way to the base camp. If the weather allows it and the path is in good condition, we will reach the so-called “Yellow Valley” around noon. We set our tent camp close to the mid lake. This will be our base camp and starting point for every tour.
At basecamp: It is planned to go to the north face at the foot of the Carstensz Pyramid. We will start to explore and prepare our starting point to the climb.
At basecamp: We will spent to day at the basecamp and start to climb the Pyramid if the weather conditions permit it.
At basecamp: If it is necessary we will try to reach the summit again.
1st trekking day back: We will walk back to Illaga and take the way, which is already familiar for us. Five days in total are scheduled for the descent.
2nd trekking day back
3rd trekking day back
4th trekking day back
5th trekking day back. The arrival to Illaga is scheduled for today.
Our charter flight takes us back to Timika. The transfer to the Hotel Komoro Tame takes place after the arrival. The Hotel will provide lunch and dinner. We will spend the night there.
Around 11:30 am local time we fly to Denpasar, Bali with the airline Garuda Indonesia. The arrival is scheduled approximately at 13.45 local time. The transfer to Hotel Ida follows where we spend the night.
Today, Transfer to the airport and departure of your flight home or to your next destination.
- National flights including mission charter
- International travel guide (German and English)
- Crew for the tour
- Meals full board (in Bali only breakfast)
- Itinerary as described above
- Special travel permit (Surat Jalan)
- Equipment (tents, cooking and eating supplies)
- 3x overnight in Hotel Ida, Bali
- 2x overnight in Hotel Komoro Tame, Timika
• International flights (if not booked on request)
• Mattress, sleeping bag for nights in tent
• Additional costs for drinks in hotels + restaurants
• Private expenses during the tour
• Airport taxes
• The passport has to be valid at least 6 months at date of entry.
• EU citizens obtain the visa at arrival, to be paid in USD.
• Other citizens please check with your embassy. We are glad to help you if need further assistance.
• Each participant has to bring a passport copy and two passport pictures when entering the country.
• A recommended checklist concerning the equipment will be send after the booking confirmation.
• The travel price for 20 days and 19 nights from/to Denpasar is individual on request.
• The minimum number of participants has to be at least 2 persons.
• The level of difficulty is a level 10 on a scale until 10.
• After receiving the booking confirmation a deposit of 15 % of the total price has to be paid. The remaining payment has to be completed at the latest 6 weeks before the trip.
• A cancellation up to 30 days before the trip attracts a cancellation fee of 20 % of the total travel price.
• Between 29 and 10 days before the trip the cancellation fee is 60 % of the total price.
• Between 9 and 1 day before the trip the cancellation fee is 90 % of the total price.
• If the customer does not show up or leaves earlier there will be no refund and the total price has to be paid.