Panama - Camino Real Trek - short version 4 days/ 3 nights
The Camino Real Trek is an amazing and unique experience for everyone interested in being close to the nature. In this expedition you will forget the stressful everyday life and make unforgettable memories. If the mossy river rocks, the gurgling translucent waters and the majestic, ancient trees could talk, they would tell epic stories of long mule trains hauling the King's gold, of dashing incursions by pirates against Castilla de Oro’s New World fortifications and many untold story tales. Long before human ingenuity and determination envisioned the Panama Canal as it is today ... long before steam engines pulled the first trans-continental railroad across Panama ... a vital and mysterious road laid of stone traversed this domain of defiance ... a throughway that was the scenario of astounding human drama; where courage, greed and cruelty shaped the early history of the world's crossroads ... el Camino Real.
Day 1: Start the trek
You will meet your expedition leader as well as the rest of the trip participants at approximately 08:00 at your hotel. All together you will be transferred by a private van to a local village on the fringes of the Chagres National Park. From this point, you will hike approximately eight km to the village of Santa Librada, where you will spend the night and get prepared for the next day's activities. Night at local village in jungle hammocks with lunch and dinner included during this day.
Day 2 and 3: Chagres National Park
You bid farewell to your new friends and continue your adventure in the Chagres National Park. This protected area was created in 1985 to preserve 130.000 hectares (320.000 acres) of rainforests as part of Panama’s conservation strategy and to help preserve the watershed, which provides all of the fresh water needed for the operation of the Panama Canal, as well as the drinking water for the two largest cities in the country. Along the way you will begin to uncover remnants of the original cobblestone of the fabled colonial route. As you skirt along the park´s boundaries you will come across peasant farms and hamlets and gradually enter the thicker and more pristine rainforest, where you run into vestiges of late 1800s manganese mines, including railroad tracks and locomotives encroached in the tropical vegetation that has taken over these relics. You cross the watershed divide of the Boqueron River over a low mountain pass into the Cascajal River basin as you head northwest towards the Caribbean Sea. Further, you will spend two nights in a hammock in jungle camps. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are included.
Day 4 Portobelo
After a breakfast in the jungle and four days of trekking, you finally reach the outskirts of Portobelo. From the end of the trail, on the Caribbean side, a vehicle will transfer you to your hotel in Panama City or to any other place of the capital. You will arrive there during the late morning. Breakfast is included.
- Trekking accommodation in jungle hammocks
- Jungle hammock and tarp
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- All transportation within Panama as specified in the itinerary
- Guides’ services and expenses
- Park and related entrance fees
- Hotels in Panama City
- Meals not specified in the itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages
- Personal equipment
- Generic trekking poles
- Gratuities and extras in hotels (telephone calls, laundry, room service)
- Travel insurances
We recommend the following equipment for the trip:
- Camera with extra batteries and sufficient storage capacity
- Flashlight with extra bulb and batteries
- Bathing suit or bathing shorts
- Insect repellant
- 1 duffle bag / small suitcase
- Water bottle
- Sandals, sneakers, hiking boots
- Lightweight and quick dry cotton clothes
- Rain gear
- Money in small denominations
- Personal medications
- Masking tape for flea protection / capture
- Own Trekking poles (for better fit)
- Prices and itineraries are correct at the time of publication. However, they are subject to change due to tidal/weather or local conditions, availabilities or factors beyond our control.
- Travel within Chagres and Portobelo National Parks is accomplished with great preparation on the part of our staff in order to make our guests as safe and comfortable as possible. Potential guests are expected to make themselves aware of the nature and demands of this trip and prudently judge whether or not they are suited for this type of experience. A desire to experience the outdoors, a spirit of adventure, and willingness to sacrifice creature comforts are essential qualifications. Participants should be physically fit and able to hike at a moderate pace for up to eight hours in a day. Medical limitations and concerns should be brought to the attention of MEET THE GLOBE several weeks prior to the program’s departure date.
Minimum number of travelers: 4
You do not have to present the minimum number. We will take your reservation and add it to others to create a group.
We would like to inform you that the trip is physically and mentally extremely challenging and excellent physical conditions are required.
The trip consists of full day trekking five to eight hours per day over muddy, steep, slippery slopes and mostly through rivers. You have to expect to be wet for most part of the day and carry all your gear. Therefore, you will be exposed to variable climatic conditions and rugged traveling conditions.
- Price per person: 660 €
There is no discount for children as this tour is not planned for children below the age of 12. From the age of 12 the full price is charged.
- Cancellations made with more than 30 days-notice are subject to a full refund of the deposit.
- Cancellations made between 30 and 15 days prior to the first day of the tour are subject to a 50 % refund of the total costs of the tour.
- Cancellations made within 15 days of the first day of the tour are not subject to refunds.
- All cancellation requests must be done in writing.
Our web page is currently being equipped with an automated booking process. Until this update is finished, we gladly receive your reservation request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We require the following information:
Name of the trip:
Number of travellers:
We will contact you as your personal travel advisor as soon as we receive your email.